Visa Requirements for Student Doctors Moving to the UK

International student doctors and established doctors seeking to start or continue their medical careers in the UK will need a Health and Care Worker Visa to work in the UK for the NHS, its supplier, or adult social care. Here is a look at the eligibility and other requirements concerning this type of visa.

Overview of the Health and Care Worker Visa

A Health and Care Worker visa is for international doctors who want to switch to the United Kingdom’s National Health Service. You’ll likely be eligible for this visa once you’ve got your offer from your preferred institution. This is a sort of a skilled worker visa that has lately taken the place of the once-popular Tier 2 Visa.

What are the eligibility requirements for the Health and Care Worker Visa?

To qualify for the Health and Care Worker visa, you will need the following:

A job

Health and Care Worker visa applicants must:

  • Be a trained doctor, health care provider, nurse, or adult social worker
  • Work for a UK employer in a qualified social or health care position, and the employer must have approval from the Home Office.
  • Provided with a certificate of sponsorship from your employer detailing your UK position
  • Earn a minimum wage amount depending on your job type
  • Have a verified job offer prior to applying for the visa.

English proficiency

You must demonstrate the ability to communicate in English by speaking, reading, writing, and understanding it.

What’s the application process for the Health Care and Worker Visa?

The visa application process takes place online. It is based on whether you are:

How long does the visa application take?

You must begin the visa application 60 days prior to your expected start date. The date is printed on your sponsorship certificate. You’ll have to show proof of identification and submit documentation. If you require an appointment, you should start early. After verifying your identification, submitting your documents, and completing the application, you should receive a visa decision within three weeks.

How much does the visa cost?

The visa cost comprises the visa application fee and the minimum amount needed in your account to prove you can sustain your stay in the UK.

The regular visa application price is:

  • £247 for a period of up to three years.
  • £479 for a stay longer than three years

You’ll also need to establish that you can support your UK stay with the following amount:

  •  A minimum of £1,270 in your account

The money must have been available for a minimum of 28 consecutive days. This must have occurred within 31 days of submitting your visa application.

Healthcare surcharge

You will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge for you and your children. You will be told the amount during the application process.

What about your family?

If your partner and children are eligible, you can add them to your application to come with you to the UK. Of course, you’ll have to pay the visa application fee and the healthcare premium for each additional person and show that they can support themselves while in the UK. Usually, the amounts required are:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

Can your employer support you instead?

Yes, you can use a sponsor license to come and work in the UK. Employers who choose to sponsor their worker’s Health and Care Worker visas must indicate it in the applicants’ Sponsorship Certificates. The ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ portion of the certificates must be filled out by the employer sponsoring the visa application. This can be found beneath the ‘Additional data’ section.

How long will you be able to stay?

You can live and work for a maximum of 5 years before needing to renew the visa. You can extend/renew it as often as you like but must meet the eligibility as mentioned earlier requirements every time.

At the end of the five years, you might be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. This offers you the freedom to live, study, and work in the country for however long you choose and receive benefits if you qualify.

Can you take additional work?

Apart from working for the NHS, its supplier, or adult social care, the health and care worker visa permits you to seek extra jobs or volunteer work.

In conclusion, the steps to acquire a visa to start or continue your healthcare professional career in the UK can be overwhelming if you haven’t done such a thing before. Having experts to guide you and support your move can ease the stress. For help regarding the Health and Care Worker visa application process, reach out to UK immigration lawyers.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button