To guarantee home and office security, many of you choose to install CCTV. When any sort of crime, like theft or burglary happens, these surveillance videos are the key to investigation. However, have you ever imagined, what would you do if these crucial videos were lost or deleted accidentally? Don’t worry! There are several troubleshooting methods available, which may help you recover deleted CCTV Footage without much hassle. Before that, know the reasons because of which your CCTV may get deleted.
Why CCTV Cameras Are Important?
Here, we have mentioned certain reasons that makes the CCTV cameras essential in our day-to-day life:
- At Public Places for Surveillance: One of common and vital functions of CCTV cameras is surveillance of public places.
- In Business Organizations: In offices, CCTV cameras are installed to safeguard assets with continuous monitoring.
- By Individuals: Many homeowners are investing in CCTV cameras to keep their homes secure and to keep an eye on kids.
Reasons behind Why CCTV Video is Deleted from the DVR or Hard Drive
Below we have mentioned the common reasons that may result in damage or loss of recorded footage in CCTV systems.
- Accidental deletion of CCTV footage
- Failed DVR or hard drive
- Fire damage to the DVR
- Water damage
- Bad sectors in DVR hard disk drive
- Formatted SD card, corrupt or damaged CCTV SD card or DVR
Can CCTV Footage Delete Automatically?
Well Yes, it is possible for the CCTV footage to get deleted automatically. That’s because the CCTV footage is stored on a local hard drive, cloud server, or an offsite server. What happens is old data by default gets overwritten with new data after a month. Another major reason is the lack of space on the storage device. To avoid this, you’re advised to regularly monitor the storage space.
Troubleshooting Methods To Recover Deleted CCTV Footage
Below we have mentioned some of the effective troubleshooting methods by implementing which you can recover deleted CCTV footage without much hassle:
Method 1: Restore Deleted CCTV Footage using Backup
If you have a backup, the below given steps will make it easier for you to access the files:
- Firstly, you have to search for the footage backup folder and open it.
- Then, find the the deleted video from the DVR hard drive or SD card.
- When found, copy it back to the disk or SD card.
Method 2: Recover Deleted Footage from CCTV Using CMD
The Control Prompt Command or CMD can also help you retrieve lost or deleted CCTV footage. For using this, proceed with the below-given steps:
- At first, open Command Prompt (CMD).
- Then, right-click on the Windows icon and select Run. Then, press the Enter key.
- In Command Prompt, type chkdsk space Drive Letter /f (/f parameter fixes the detected errors on the disk). Wait until the command completes its actions.
- You can use any of the below-mentioned functions to fix the errors and recover the data.
-h: shows the Hidden attributes.
-r: provides the location of the bad sectors and recovers Read-only information.
/s: Commands the system to search for the specific path location.
Method 3: Recover Deleted CCTV Footage
If you don’t have the backup, there is another way that can help you recover deleted CCTV footage. That’s by using a data recovery software, like Stellar Photo Recovery. It supports a wide variety of formats captured by different CCTV cameras, including Hikvision, CP Plus, Dahua, Sony, and Bosch, among others.
Steps to recover CCTV footage using the software:
- Download and Launch Stellar Photo Recovery on your Windows or Mac system.
- From the main screen, select your CCTV SD card to recover the CCTV footage and click on Scan to begin the scanning process.
- When the scan completes, the software will display the CCTV photos and videos.
- Select the files which you want to restore, preview and click on Recover.
Note: If you do not see the required footage in the list, you may also select the deep scan option.
- It will display a dialog box asking you to specify the location to save the videos.
- Click Save and all the CCTV files get saved at the specified location.
Summing It Up
The need of CCTV or surveillance cameras is increasing rapidly. Therefore, it becomes extremely important to safeguard the data on the CCTV systems. Above we have mentioned all the possible troubleshooting methods that may help you recover deleted CCTV footage. If none of these works, you can choose a reliable photo/ video recovery software like Stellar Photo recovery software.